|Sharon began as an outgrowth of the original
settlement at Liberty. For a while it was known as North Liberty, and when
the first branch of the L. D. S. church was organized in the community it
was known as the North Liberty Branch.
That name was not satisfying to the settlers however and for years they
sought to change the identity by separating themselves completely from the
Liberty group. For some time the unofficial name of the community was
Emigration but finally on February 4 1897, John T. Lion, first presiding
Elder of the Branch suggested the name of Sharon alter the birthplace of the
founder of the Latter Day Saints Church, Joseph Smith.
Exactly when the first settlers moved into the area is not known. Many
groups of people moved over the land before the streams coming from the
nearby encouraged settlement. Those streams came from Emigration Canyon,
Mill Canyon and Copenhagen Canyon, and
they offered inducement for an early cooperative dairy business in the area
as well as lumbering.
Probably the first person who could be called a settler in the area was one
of the last of the mountain trappers, John Snider. Snider was in the area as
early as 1867 and often encouraged the incoming groups to move on through
|more level ground at other locations in the
valley. He had at least three cave-like dugouts. One-was located up North
Canyon, one was in Mill Canyon (originally called Cabin Fork because of his
half cabin located there) and the other was near Copenhagen Basin.
None would be in what is called Sharon proper but his name is still on the
creek flowing through the community.
Mills operating on the stream changed the name to Mill Creek. As early as
1869 a hand-operated sawmill was functioning in the area. Later Walter Hoge
and Charles W. Nibley constructed the first water-powered mill in the area.
The remains of the second mill can still be seen today above the Richard
small ranch buildings. William G. Smith was foreman of the mill.
For about 10 years the early settlers in the area of the community attended
church meetings at Liberty.
Then a small log church house with one single room was constructed to serve
both as school and church.
The early cooperative dairy was called the Union Dairy. It employed several
people through the summer months and usually obtained much of the stock from
Paris and Bloomington, Samuel Humphreys operated the dairy in 1880 and later
took over the church ranch in Nounan. James McMurry was the first herd
wrangler for the dairy.